Why I REALLY love books

by - January 07, 2011

I've had some people ask me why I love books so much. No blogger people, since I think that to like to write, you have to like to read.
But a few siblings, friends and acquaintances will ask me why I like books so much, after they find me "devouring" a book or raving about one.

Then I thought, hey! What a great idea for a post.
So here I am, posting about posting about books.
Maybe I should get along with it.

Books are, quite literally, whole worlds. I know ever so many people say that, and I know I'm not original, but it's completely true! Books are truly amazing things, when written well.

Are you like me? Do you get a tingly feeling of excitement when you've just finished reading the back of the book, and you open the cover to the first page? Do you become totally immersed in this world of words and ink, so lost you sometimes wonder if you'll ever find your way back out? Does your mind use each and every little detail and weave them into a wonderful picture, more enthralling than a Cinema? Do you laugh and cry, rejoice and mourn with your favorite characters?

When I feel as if I can reach out and touch the character, then that makes a good book for me. When I feel that the characters and I are best friends, that makes a good book. When each sentence is full of detail that it paints a beautiful and elaborate picture, that makes a good book.

I hate books that skim over everything. You know, the ones that never really describe anything in detail? And if they do, it's so vague that it's not even detail at all?
A good example of a badly written book is Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguié

















{not my photo}

There was this one part, where Violet is preparing for a ball, and one of her princess friends is putting up her hair. Instead of describing what her hair REALLY looks like, it just says; "...half her hair was piled atop her head, while the other half cascaded down in waves..."
This irritated me. It may have been mainly because the image it put in my head was not that of a wonderful hairstyle. The image I saw in my head made her look like a fool. The most annoying part about this book was that the only detail it went into was the romance. And THANK YOU VERY MUCH, but there was WAAAAAAY too much detail there! I don't mind "...and he kissed her..." or something like that, but anything more is too much.

A good example of a well written book is The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.
I love how he describes everything as if he was standing in Stonetown Harbor, or The Learning Institute For The Very Enlightened or Mr. Benedict's house.

















{not my photo}


I'd give you some examples, but I loaned it to a friend and I don't know any phrases by heart. So take my word for it!

I prefer books that grab you right at the beginning. You open the cover, read the first few sentences and suddenly you're there, and Jo is writing her latest play, and Beth is tending her kittens. I can't count how many times I've been reading, and Brother Number One comes up to me and says something like; "Mum needs you."

Me: *silence*
Brother Number One: Hello?
Me: Mm...
Brother Number One: Gwen, are you listening?
Me: Mm...hm...
Brother Number One: *poke*
Me: W....what?
Brother Number One: *pokes harder* GWEN!!!
Me: *looks around* What? What?!
Brother Number One: Mum wants you.
Me: Oh. Sorry, I was reading.
Brother Number One: Yeah, I could see that.

My dad thinks it'd be funny to take pictures of me in my "entrancement." Want to know what I look like when I read? I look like I'm trying to burn a hole through the book with my lazer-eyes. But I don't care. I LOVE BOOKS!

God bless,



Photobucket

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. I would be interested in participating in "Notes From Elven Princesses" again, as long as you are aware that I am not a very consistant poster! I felt bad for slacking off last time, and I will be in school so I might only have time to do a few posts, but I had a great time last time and I would love to do it again!

    Thanks for thinking of me and making an exception for me, I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I love posts of good books!! Thank you friend! Love ya

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. I ♥ comments.

Powered by Blogger.