The Ten Commandments (expanded)

by - April 05, 2010

Most of us know what the Ten Commandments are:

1: I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

2: Thou shalt not say my name in vain.

3: Thou shalt keep the Sabbath day holy.

4: Honor thy father and mother.

5: Thou shalt not kill.

6: Thou shalt not commit adultery

7: Thou shalt not steal.

8: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

9: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife

10: thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.

but is this all they mean?
My priest tells me that each has a hidden message







1: I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

This means that not only are we not to worship false idols, but we must remember to put Our Lord before worldly things.

2: Thou shalt not say my name in vain.

This means that saying "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ" is unacceptable. It would be like taking a beautiful flower and throwing it the gutter, without even acknowledging it's beauty.

3: Thou shalt keep the Sabbath day holy.

This means we must attend Mass, and refrain from doing hard labor like mowing the lawn, or cleaning the bathroom. Cooking and cleaning up after meals if fine.

4: Honor thy father and mother.

We must remember to respect an honor our Parents by obeying them and loving them.

5: Thou shalt not kill.

This does not just mean we are not supposed to go up to a person and stab them with a knife. We are not to get physically or verbally abusive to anyone. Hitting your brother or calling your sister names is breaking this commandment.

6: Thou shalt not commit adultery

This means so much more than................yeah. Wearing immodest clothing also counts. Jesus says that when a man lusts after a woman, he has already committed adultery. Also, flirting and anything to attract the opposite gender in an immoral way, is adultery

7: Thou shalt not steal.

I think this is pretty clear.

8: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

This does not mean don't ever lie. While lying is mostly a sin, it can be used to protect someone e.g. during the Holocaust lying that there are no Jews in your home. Bearing false witness means lying about someone. Like saying that your neighbor is having an affair, just to get him a bad name. A good name, once lost, is nearly impossible to recover. And a bad name is equally hard to lose.

9: thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

This means that you shall not lust. Even if the person is not married

10: thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.

This means you shall not envy your neighbor. Envy leads to anger, which leads to hate, which leads to physical actions

I do not pretend to know what God is telling us. My priest told me this, and I thought it was interesting.

God Bless

You May Also Like

0 comments

Be kind. I ♥ comments.

Powered by Blogger.